Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Films: Sky Blue and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I had never heard of the film Sky Blue. It’s an anime film, set in a post apocalyptic style future. I thought it had some really interesting ideas and some pretty nice art styles. I liked the design of the giant protective city the higher class lived in, also the flying vehicles they used within the city. Although the film was quite slow at first, and we all had hysterics at the randomness of the final scene, I still thought it was a pretty good film. I think it had some nice art direction; there were some very interesting characters, and the lighting and colours in different areas, for example within the technological areas and the skies were quite beautiful. The story was ok, but maybe not very well thought out, particularly the end. It was as if they had quickly thrown in every possible event all together to try and make it more dramatic. And yet they forgot to give more detail on why starting this machine would just randomly fix the whole world in seconds.

I had seen plenty of trailers for Scott Pilgrim, but had never seen it before. I really liked the film; I thought it was funny and creative. It was cool having a comic book style in certain scenes, like with the writing and exclamations. Also the fight scenes were pretty dramatic and definitely game like. The main character wasn’t what I would typically think of as a hero, but by the end of the film, he definitely was. They made the scenes so that he was put through trials to prove himself. When I had first heard about the film, I didn’t think I would like it much and now I’ve seen it, it wasn’t what I was expecting. I would definitely watch the film again.

No comments:

Post a Comment