Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Films: “The Thing” and “Blade Runner”


These two films are ones I had seen when I was a lot younger. But I don’t think I saw them all the way through before though. The Thing is a really good classic horror film by John Carpenter. It scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it! I absolutely hate the dog scene. But after seeing it again, I can appreciate the skills of the artists and modellers in making the creature effects. There were a few scenes where we laughed our heads off, but definitely can’t deny that it’s a good film! I heard that there is going to be a remake of the film, but the monsters will be done in CGI. Somehow I think that will lose its effect. You can beat the originals anyway, or at least rarely do you see that. Creature effects done with modelling and suits etc are really quite awesome. I’ve seen the making-of videos for films like Underworld and The Cave. In Underworld, they hand made all the werewolf suits, and the fur on them was individually poked into the latex skin! And in The Cave, the creatures were totally unique, with great details in the features and skin tones.

Blade Runner was also one I had watched when I was small, but never all the way through. I had never seen the ending, so it was good to finally see it. I thought that this film had a very interesting portrayal of the future. It was more of a dystopian future, with crowded busy and run down streets. You get the feeling that it’s an unsafe urban environment, and likely with a corrupt government. The story was quite interesting. The idea of robots walking among us has been used a lot of times, but it was interesting how the robots had some form of feelings, and wanted to protect themselves. I thought it was a very good idea to have the film based on a person who hunts down these robots. The city itself, with its huge futuristic buildings was quite amazing and unique. Films like The Fifth Element had similar buildings, and perhaps they took their inspiration from this older film.

No comments:

Post a Comment